No butter, oil or refined sugar! These muffins taste really good, and because it’s so healthy, I allowed myself to add chocolate chips to make it even more delicious. This recipe can easily be used for banana bread, but I liked the muffin version better because it stays moist longer and are easier to pack in lunchboxes. (If you want to make banana bread, use two loaf pans and bake for 55-65 minutes.)
The recipe makes 12 slightly bigger than normal sized muffins, but, if you also have a jumbo muffin pan, you can make 6 jumbo muffins and 6 slightly smaller than normal muffins (that’s why some of my pictures have different sized muffins!). My family loves these muffins so much that they usually disappear in about 2 days!
In a small bowl, sift together the flours, baking powder and baking soda.
In a large bowl, mix together the agave syrup or honey, Greek yogurt and the egg.
Whisk in mashed bananas and vanilla extract until smooth.
Add in the flour mixture and chocolate chips and mix until well combined. Do not over mix or the muffins will not be airy. At this step, you can also add other things, like blueberries, walnuts, raisins, etc.
Scoop into greased muffin pans (I didn’t line mine with paper but you can to make it look nicer) and bake in the preheated oven at 175 °C ( 350 °F) for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Let cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing to let cool on wire rack. To keep the muffins moist for 3-4 days, transfer them in a plastic container with a lid after they have cooled down.
Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cup white flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/3 cup agave syrup or honey
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used non-fat)
5 mashed bananas
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup chocolate chips, chopped nuts, raisins or blueberries
- Preheat oven to 175 °C ( 350 °F). Grease a 12 cup muffin pan (or 2 loaf pans).
- In a small bowl, sift together the flours, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a separate large bowl, beat together the agave syrup or honey, Greek yogurt and the egg. Mix in mashed bananas and vanilla extract.
- Whisk in the flour mixture and the chocolate chips into the wet mixture. Mix until combined but do not over mix or the muffins will be too dense.
- Scoop into the 12 muffin cups (or 2 loaf pans).
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick in the middle comes out clean (if using loaf pans, bake for 55-65 minutes).
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove and transfer to a wire rack. To keep the moisture for 3-4 days, wait until the muffins cool down, then place in a plastic container and cover with the lid.