Decadent and chocolaty, this chocolate ganache tart with pastry cream is a really nice dessert to impress someone. It’s incredibly rich, so servings are pretty small, but everyone will probably want seconds anyways. And it’s not as fattening as you think it would be, especially with a graham cracker crust instead of a pastry crust (which is usually loaded with butter)!
The first time I made this, the amount of pastry cream was not enough, so next time I’ll double the quantity so the layer is more visible. But if you don’t want to take the hassle for that layer, just double the ganache recipe and you’ll have a purely chocolate ganache tart, which is also very delicious!
Dessert aside, have you ever seen a parrot not in a zoo? Today, when I was walking in the park, I had the chance to see a parrot which was owned by this fella who had saved the parrot from being put down because it couldn’t fly anymore. The parrot was so well trained, it even climbed up the arm of anyone who wanted to!
Okay, back to the ganache tart. So to make the graham cracker crust, just blend the crackers with the melted coconut oil and agave syrup (optional). Or crush the crackers in a Ziploc bag with a rolling pin and then mix the crumbs with the melted coconut oil and agave syrup.
Then press the crumbs firmly into a parchment-paper-lined 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom, or a pie dish. Bake in a preheated 175 °C (350 °F) oven for 10 minutes. (No need for tinfoil to cover.) Then refrigerate for at least an hour so it can harden.
To make the next layer, the ganache filling, chop the chocolate into very small pieces, almost slivers, and pour boiling hot whipping cream over top. Stir constantly until it mixes together and the ganache is creamy and kind of thick.
Pour the chocolate ganache in the graham cracker crust and refrigerate for a few hours. In the meanwhile, prepare the pastry cream. It’s a very simple procedure if you follow all the steps.
In a medium bowl, mix together the egg yolks, half the sugar, and flour.
In a saucepan over medium heat, heat the milk, the rest of the sugar and the vanilla extract until it just starts to boil. Very slowly start to pour half of the milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture, mixing all the time and vigorously so the egg yolks do not cook and curdle! After about half the milk mixture has been poured in, transfer the milk+egg yolk mixture back into the saucepan with the rest of the milk mixture. Mix until combined over medium heat. Bring it to a boil and by then the mixture should thicken considerably.
Keep mixing for a minute and then remove from heat and mix in the butter. Let it cool down. It should be a bit yellow in color. Now pour the pastry cream over the chocolate ganache, smoothing it with a spatula. Then refrigerate until serving.
Decorate with raspberries and serve thin slices because it is quite rich.
Pastry Cream Chocolate Ganache Tart
Creamy and rich, this decadent tart is sure to please chocolate lovers. This also tastes great without the pastry cream, but just make sure to double the chocolate ganache!
Graham Cracker Crust:
150 g graham crackers (about 20 square crackers or 10 full sheet crackers)
6 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
2 tbsp. agave syrup (optional, for extra sweetness)
8 oz. whipping cream
8 oz. dark chocolate, finely chopped
3 egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp. white flour
1 cup milk
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
2 tbsp. butter
- Graham Cracker Crust: Grind the crackers, coconut oil, and the agave syrup in the food processor. Or crush the graham crackers in a Ziploc bag with a rolling pin, then mix the crumbs with the coconut oil and agave syrup. Very firmly press the crumbs into a parchment-lined 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom or pie dish. Bake in a preheated 175 °C (350 °F) oven for 10 minutes. Refrigerate for at least an hour to harden it.
- Chocolate Ganache: Heat the whipping cream in a saucepan until boiling over medium heat. Pour the whipping cream over the chopped chocolate, mixing until it becomes creamy and well mixed. Cool for 15 minutes, then fill the graham cracker crust with the ganache. Refrigerate for a few hours.
- Pastry Cream: In a medium bowl, mix together the egg yolks and half of the sugar. Add in the flour. In a saucepan over medium heat, bring the milk, the rest of the sugar and vanilla extract to a boil.
- Slowly dribble half of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture, stirring constantly so the eggs don’t curdle. Pour the milk+egg mixture into the saucepan and mix it with the rest of the egg mixture over medium heat. Bring to a boil. When the mixture is thick, remove from the heat and mix in the butter. Let cool down. Pour the pastry cream over the chocolate ganache and refrigerate until serving.
- Serve with raspberries. Can be refrigerated for up to 3 days, uncovered.
One thought on “Pastry Cream Chocolate Ganache Tart”
I agree with you