I love this recipe. It was so easy to make, and the results were delicious. The bread is moist, and the addition of lemon and blueberries with the zucchini really made a difference in taste. It is definitely not one of those weird tasting zucchini creations. This is really really really good.
Before I get started on how to make this bread, I have to tell you what happened in the past few days! It was very windy, and rain was pouring down every morning, so we had no more electricity, which equals no more wifi, which equals no more blog posts until today. Also, since it was so windy, a humongous tree (Yes, a tree!) fell down on our driveway, so we couldn’t use the car to drive out.
Thankfully, our friends and neighbors helped us chop up the tree to clear an opening for the car to drive out. We had to use all our strength to tug the chopped parts down the driveway, but with our friends and neighbors help, we finished the job in a day!
Anyways, back to the recipe. Stir the Greek yogurt, lemon juice, vanilla extract, egg, coconut oil, and honey in a big bowl.
Stir in the mashed banana and brown sugar.
In a separate bowl, sift the flours, baking soda and salt. Combine into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined, but do not over mix.
Mix in the grated zucchini (squeeze as much water out of the zucchini before adding it in, or the bread will be mushy and wet) and blueberries.
Transfer to a greased 9×5 loaf pan and bake for 55-65 minutes at 163°C (325°F).
Leave in pan for 5 minutes, then remove from pan. To keep the bread fresh and moist, place it in a plastic container when it is still slightly warm (but not too warm). The slight heat from the bread will stay in the container and keep the bread moist for 3-4 days.
Blueberry Lemon Zucchini Bread
1/2 cup Greek yogurt (this works with any flavor of yogurt, even berries!)
1/4 cup lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
2 tbsp. honey (can also use agave syrup or maple syrup)
4 tbsp. mashed banana
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
A pinch of salt
1 cup zucchini, grated (try to squeeze out as much water as you can before measuring)
1/2 cup frozen blueberries, chopped nuts or chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 163 °C ( 325 °F). Grease a 9×5 loaf pan.
- In a big bowl, stir together Greek yogurt, lemon juice, vanilla extract, egg, coconut oil, and honey. Add in mashed banana and brown sugar.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the whole wheat flour, white flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix the dry mixture into the liquid mixture. Do not over mix or the bread will turn out too dense.
- Add in the grated zucchini and blueberries (or chopped nuts or chocolate chips). Mix until combined.
- Transfer the mixture into the loaf pan and bake in the oven for 55-65 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean after inserted.
- Leave in pan for 5 minutes, then remove. To keep the moisture for 3-4 days, wait until the bread cools down, and when it is just slightly warm to the touch, place in a plastic container and cover with the lid.